The purpose of Functional Skills English Entry Level qualifications is to demonstrate the ability at an appropriate level to read, write, speak, listen and communicate in English, and to apply this knowledge and these skills in familiar situations.
Functional Skills qualifications in English at Entry Level is designed to equip learners with the life skills they need to succeed. It aims to ensure learners can communicate with confidence and independence and offers excellent preparation for employment and further education. It is suitable for a wide range of individuals and is fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications and frameworks, such as Foundation Learning. The levels progress from Entry Level 1 to Entry Level 3.
There are no entry qualifications or age limits required by learners to undertake this qualification.
The qualification includes the following:
- Listen, understand, and respond to verbal communicating in a range of familiar contexts
- Acquire an understanding of everyday words and their uses and effects and apply this understanding in different contexts
- Read with accuracy straightforward texts encountered in everyday life and work and develop confidence to read more widely
- Write straightforward texts and documents with clarity and effectiveness, and demonstrate a sound grasp of spelling, punctuation, and grammar
Method of Assessment
The assessment involves the three components:
• Speaking, listening and communicating
Entry Level 1, 2 or 3 Functional Skills in English